As usual while doing some hands on or rather RND on Sharepoint I came across this message which as follows
The Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature must be activated at the site collection level before the Publishing feature can be activated
I tried several tried, thinking as it must some weird behavior of internet explorer, so I had refreshed the page and tried again, huhhh….. no luck. Then I realize that its something else, so I started digging further.
As error message states that “…… feature must be activated …..“, so I have checked my site’s “Site collection features” and followed some easy steps which are as follows
- Open the site.
- Enabling publishing at the site collection level
- In case if you are not at the root of your site, then under “Site Collection Administration“, click “Go to top level site settings” and if you are at root of your site then select “Site Settings” from “Site Actions”.
- On the Site Settings page, under Site Collection Administration, click “Site collection features“.
- On the Site Collection Features page, search for “Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure“, once located then click “Activate“.
- Enabling publishing at the site level
- On the Site Settings page, in the “Site Administration” section, click “Site features“.
- Search for “Office SharePoint Server Publishing“, once located then click “Activate“.
In case if people loves command line sharepoint administration then here is the option
stsadm -o activatefeature -name PublishingResources -url <yourwebsiteUrl>
Now that while doing all this I came across another error message while activating “Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” which is as follows
Activating Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure – Access Denied
Solution one problem means arrival of another. I guess that how life moves along, OK, enough of life fundas lets stick to the topic.
To solve this I seriously took much effort and time as compared to the earlier which was very simple and straightforward. But still there are solution for almost all problems so as to this as well.
This error may come due to any change in devlopment procedure. We always used to create development farms using Administrator for everything, but scince I found problems with feature activation I am developing using the Microsoft Guidelines for MOSS accounts. This means the AppPool account has limited permissions.
To solve the ‘Access Denied’ problem you need to elevate the permissions of the AppPool of the web application on which you are trying to activate the Publishing Infrastructure feature.
One way to achieve this is to temporarily change the AppPool of the web application…
- Open IIS Admin.
- Location the Web Site for your WSS web application.
- Goto to the properties and select the ‘Home Directory’ tab.
- Change the AppPool to be the same as Central Administration.
- Activate the Publishing Infrastructure feature on your site.
- Change to AppPool back to the original.
This should allow you to enable the feature and use the publishing features within MOSS.